Today, the friends, family, and colleagues of Hannah Frank held a special Chicago memorial for her, hosted at the University of Chicago. I already wrote quite a bit about Hannah in the past two weeks, so for my presentation at this memorial I decided to do something different: a short found-footage celebration of Hannah’s audiovisual interests.
As you might imagine, this compilation video includes things that Hannah wrote about. But it also includes things Hannah shared on social media that she liked. And things Hannah shared on social media that she made. It includes things Hannah and I shared a mutual love of. It includes things Hannah encouraged me to teach and/or write about. And it includes things I encouraged Hannah to teach and/or write about. I’ve arranged these clips to the tune of “Deeper into Movies,” by Hannah’s fellow Hobokeners Yo La Tengo.
Special thanks to Will Carroll, Chris Carloy, Sierra Wilson, Jordan Schonig, and James Rosenow.
If you’d like to explore Hannah’s own output as a video artist and animator, check out her Vimeo page here.
If you’re curious about the sources for all of the visual bits, a full list is below the fold.
Sources of visual bits:
- Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation (Christopher McQuarrie, 2015)
- Foney Fables (Friz Freleng, 1942)
- Lightning Bolt “13 Monsters” music video (Paper Rad, 2001)
- Peyote Queen (Storm De Hirsch, 1965)
- Hair-Raising Hair (Chuck Jones, 1946)
- The Wacky Wabbit (Robert Clampett, 1942)
- Mad Max: Fury Road (George Miller, 2015)
- itself containing a six frames from Max Mad (George Miller, 1979)
- Bob’s Burgers S3E23 “The Unnatural” (Wes Archer and Bernand Derriman, 2013)
- BoJack Horseman S1E11 “Downer Ending” (Amy Winfrey, 2014)
- Xavier: Renegade Angel S1E6 “World of Hurt, BC” (Vernon Chatman and John Lee, 2007)
- a second clip from The Wacky Wabbit (Robert Clampett, 1942)
- Xavier: Renegade Angel S1E1 “What Life D-D-Doth” (Vernon Chatman and John Lee, 2007)
- Cindermarion (Hannah Frank, 2016)
- contains footage from Psycho (Alfred Hitchcock, 1960)
- contains footage from Cinderella (Clyde Geriomini, Wilfred Jackson, and Hamilton Luske, 1950)
- P-UNIT-1 (Paper Rad, 2005)
- Gone Girl (David Fincher, 2014)
- The Killer (John Woo, 1989)
- Making a Movie out of a Mole Hair (Hannah Frank, 2012)
- rotoscoping over footage from The Killer (John Woo, 1989)
- Free Radicals (Len Lye, 1958)
- Belladonna of Sadness (Yamamota Eiichi, 1973)
- Raggedy Ann & Andy: A Musical Adventure (Richard Williams, 1977)
- It’s a Wonderful Face (Hannah Frank, 2013)
- contains footage from various archival versions of It’s a Wonderful Life (Frank Capra, 1946)
- untitled unofficial It’s a Wonderful Face follow-up “eternalism” GIF (Hannah Frank, 2017)
- contains frames from It’s a Wonderful Life (Frank Capra, 1946)
- eternalized frames from “Grad Labor Counts — Wake the NLRB” (Grad Students United, 2011)